Stephen P. Nicholas, MD, Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Nicholas is a patient-focused physician leader with 30 years of experience in direct patient care, teaching, and healthcare management. A persuasive change-agent, he excels in developing and leading a diverse physician population for team-based care. Dr. Nicholas is recognized by top hospital management for his proven ability to drive organizational transformation and development while maintaining exceptional patient satisfaction. As a physician in private practice, he focused on providing high quality, evidenced-based medicine, and promoting an exceptional patient experience.
- SSM Health Medical Group – Vice President, Medical Affairs – Service Line Practices
- Clayton Medical Consultants, Inc. – Physician
- Mary’s Health Center –
- Associate Director, Department of Medicine
- Chairman, Department of Gastroenterology
- Medical Director of Informatics
- Mary’s of Clayton Wellness Center and Urgent Care – Clinical Director
Key Career Accomplishments
- SSM Health Medical Group –
- Oversaw four key service lines for SSM Health – St. Louis: Cancer Care, Heart and Vascular Institute, Neurosciences Institute, and Orthopedics.
- Led the service lines teams, including Physician Leadership Councils and executive directors, while working with hospital presidents ensuring patients received the highest quality of care and patient safety.
- Developed and implemented policies and procedures to significantly raise Group patient satisfaction/ experience score (CG-CAPS); coaching and mentoring employed physicians on improving their individual patient experience scores.
- Worked with Regional Chief Medical Officer of SSM Health St. Louis and respective Hospital VPMA’s along with respective Service Line Cardiologists as well as Primary Care providers to lower CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) readmissions from 22% to 15.3 %.
- Collaborated with Hospital leadership along with Orthopedics physician leadership preparing for Comprehensive Joint Replacement (CJR) implementation.
- Partnered with Strategy and Business Development leadership to identify physician needs assessment and led recruitment efforts for adding new physicians to the service lines.
- Clayton Medical Consultants, Inc. –
Private practice of Internal Medicine and Consultative Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Thirty years’ experience in self-managed, office-based practice of medicine.
- 2500 active patient panel.
- Oversight of collaborative APN.
- Multi-year recipient of Missouri’s Patient’s Choice Award and a 4.5/5 rating from patient surveys in HealthGrades.
- Mary’s Health Center –
- Oversight of Medical Staff issues related to Department including staff bylaws, credentialing and
- Faculty position in Internal Medicine Residency program. Taught and oversaw Medical Residents (St. Mary’s Health Center) and GI Fellows (St. Louis University School of Medicine).
- Member Medical Executive Committee (MEC).
- Member Medical Staff Peer Review Committee.
- Chair of Patient Safety and Quality Committee.
- Chair of Technology Assessment Committee.
- Helped oversee design and building of $4.2 million expansion and renovation of GI Endoscopy Lab where over 11,000 endoscopic procedures are performed annually.
- Created partnership with Academic GI Physicians of Saint Louis University School of Medicine to provide Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopic service as well as creation of GI Physiology Lab.
- Oversight of EPIC (EMR) implementation, training of medical staff and ongoing use issues of electronic medical record.
- Member SSM Health St. Louis Network Informatics Committee.
- Mary’s of Clayton Wellness Center and Urgent Care –
- Oversaw physician workforce.
- Implemented wellness programs for local businesses.
- Managed physician lecture series for Chamber of Commerce.
- Partnered with benefit managers for employee health needs; including pre-employment physicals and walk-in medical care.
- Master of Business Administration – University of Missouri – St. Louis, MO
- Fellowship in Gastroenterology – Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- Residency in Internal Medicine/Chief Medical Resident – Saint Mary’s Health Center, St. Louis, MO
- Medical Doctor (MD) – University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
- Bachelor of Arts & Sciences – Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO
Certifications and Affiliations
- ABIM Board Certification – Gastroenterology 1997 – 2007, 2007 – 2017
- ABIM Board Certification – Internal Medicine 1993 – 2003, 2003 – 2013